Due to Teardrop Trailers having a retro vibe from an interesting history, the Glamping trend and the fact that Teardrop Trailers are just so darn cute, one of the things a new owner may fret about is creating a nice looking campsite. If you need a nudge to find it important, there are plenty of great images on Pinterest showcasing decoration themes, color schemes and customized projects used to create special camp settings.
On the way to gaining our functional items, we ended up with an eclectic mix of whatever colors the manufacturers were offering this year. There were choices of greens and grays, browns and cream colors that none quite matched or coordinated with each other. So, I have several projects to complete in the future to up our decorating game.
Earl purchased a wire garden signpost on Amazon to get things started. This weekend I made a camp sign to coordinate with our Vistabule galley’s olive green batwings and the cabin’s window shades.
As a base for the sign, we picked a cheap pink plastic placemat from Target because the size was right to fit the signpost and it was a sturdy thickness, heavy enough to hang straight down on its own.
The placemat was given two layers of silver gray acrylic paint as a primer coat. Then I freehand sketched a Vistabule image to size. I also stained a small pair of clogs that we may hang from the corner of the signpost.
The second step was to come up with some wording and determine the size of lettering needed for the sign. So, I made a mockup to run pass Earl for his input.
Next it was time to paint the Vistabule image onto the placemat, using the primer as the base color of the Teardrop Trailer. Adding the Olive colored background was the step that gave me a sense of what the completed sign would look like.
Then, there was a final decision made on which font to use.
After resizing and arranging the lettering on Photoshop, I printed words out and transferred them using the old fashioned method of burnishing carbon paper to mark them only to the surface of the sign. Then, paint or markers were used to fill in and outline each letter.
Champagne gold is the color of our tow car, so I used it for the title. Our names were added to the clogs, but I did not like the result. So, the clogs may be redone someday.
All that is left is to give the camp sign a protective clear coat and punch holes to be able to hang it.